Day Three - The Market

October 13, 2019 The Market 

This morning Co Oanh and Bi came to see us (wife and son of the Shaman). We were hungry, so they took us to have banh cuon for breakfast, it is some sort of rice dish with meat. I had it many times before. It was pretty good here, especially cha lua (fish patty) that came with it. But, I think it was made of squid instead, cha muc.



Then we went to a coffee shop. We were there for a LOOOONG time because my mom ordered filter drip coffee and it takes forever to drip (see pix). I didn't mind because Bi knows a lot of kids in the neighborhood and we hung out playing miniature pool and even crossed the street by ourselves to meet with other kids. 



After breakfast we went to the market to get ingredients to make lunch. The market was crazy because people drove TANKS in there. LOL Okay, just kidding, why would they do that? It is still crazy though, because instead of tanks, they drove mopeds and motorbikes IN the market! No joke! I have tons of pictures of the market and will send you tons more, promise. 



First thing I noticed when I walked in the market was, it smelled like fish. It smelled like that because it was filled with it. I asked my mom what stinky was in Vietnamese (thแป‘i, hรดi, thรบi). I will be using that word a lot. Ha Long is a bay so there are tons of fresh seafood in the market. It tastes good but it does smell. 

Oh, and don't tell Milo this, but all he has to know is, don't bring his dog Peaches to Vietnam (Don't tell him this part they eat dogs in Vietnam. So don't tell him if Peaches gets lost she or end up at the market). DON'T TELL MILO THAT. Okay I am done. Here are some photos. NO DOG PHOTOS INCLUDED.




After the wild market, we walked home. Co Oanh saw a vendor selling flowers on a bike. She told her the home address because she didn't want to buy it there and have to carry it home. So, when we got home, the lady was there ready to sell flowers. That was pretty cool. I also made sure to take pix of motorbikes for the class. I asked my mom to rent a bike so we can go on it like last year in Da Nang. She said, maybe. 



Bi, kept getting into the pictures. He is like my 8 year old sister, Emmi, but less annoying. My mom still is making me speak Vietnamese. I'm not sure how I feel about it today. I will write more tomorrow! 





Comments

Unknown said…
You are making me hungry! That looks like rice rolls. Is that basil underneath? Do you eat that with a sauce?
Anonymous said…
that sounds good.Bring me some pls
Unknown said…
how does it taste? ;-; bring me some too


-secret (you have to figure it out)

hehe...HE
Unknown said…
Hi Toussaint! I love banh cuon and I wish I can have some right now. Do you like to eat it with the sauce or no sauce?
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Hi Toussaint! I love banh cuon and I wish I can have some too. Do you like to eat with the sauce or no sauce?
Anonymous said…
What was your favorite food out of all the food you ate?Also those poor puppies.They had a long life to explore,but they were not able to because they got eaten.POOR PUPPIES!
Anonymous said…
I don't think people eating dogs will only affect Milo. That fact will probably haunt anyone who likes dogs. I can relate to how that flower person coming to your door because in India people would bring cartons of milk to our doorstep so that we could buy it without going anywhere.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
Hi tous,the fish in the market does smell really bad.Did you eat pho , or is that ina different reigon of vietnam?The last time I went to vietnam I didnt actually get to go to the market because I was staying at a resort in Hanoi.


-liam kinguyen๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰
Anonymous said…
Looks nice. I'd prefer to not eat the dog though. Animal cruelty maybe.
Anonymous said…
Hey Toussaint,I really loved the meals that you showed the class. Did you try the meals? If you did what did it taste like? Did you have fun with the neighborhood kids? BTW milo didn't see the part where vietnamese people eat dogs. Have fun once again.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
you are making me hungry
why did you have to go to the market?
are you having fun ?



MT
Anonymous said…
Yum! looks good. Enjoy that! What does it taste like?


-Mia
Anonymous said…
Hi Toussaint! How did the food taste there?

-CH
Anonymous said…
what does the food taste like and smell like by kali nixon
Anonymous said…
What are your thoughts on the dogs being food?

(K.L.)
Anonymous said…
Also Toussaint do you know why they had motor bikes in the market?,because we do not have that here so I was just wondering.


๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜€
Anonymous said…
Where did you get the food.Q.C.
Anonymous said…
Looks nice. I'd prefer to not eat the dog though. Animal cruelty maybe. But did you like it? It looks like a good dish. Did you finish it all?
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
How crowded was it by the markets, did you have breathing space.-Evan.MA
Unknown said…
Is it good?
What does it taste like?
Have fun eating it.
-Isaac
Anonymous said…
Wow theres is alot of food man,and how did it taste like.
Anonymous said…
Sounds like a really fun day! What did the flowers look like?
-Hazel A
kieulinh said…
Ms. Chan - I sauce is fish sauce (nuoc mam).
Jr. - LOL I will eat a lot for you because I cannot bring back food.
Secret - The food won't make it all the way home on the airplane :D
Anonymous - I can eat banh cuon with or without nuoc mam.
Ella - Ya, I thought my dad was kidding when he said Vietnamese eat dogs. I don't see it in the restaurants though. I only saw it in this market. I love Vietnamese food. We eat different things every day because there are so many choices. I cannot decide sometimes so I just eat ramen at home :D I don't know my favorite.
Amin - I also like going out of my house and there are food stall EVERYWHERE. So much food and the Vietnamese people are so skinny, like me :D
Anonymous - The neighborhood kids are nice. I want to play soccer with them next.
MT - My mom made me go to the market to get food. I'm having a blast.
Ava - Halong is not crowded at all. Hanoi and Da Nang much more crowded.
Kyle - I feel sorry for the dogs. Vietnamese have dogs as pets and food.
Kali - Food smells and tastes extra good.
CH - the food is delicious and cheap.
Liam - I will eat pho tomorrow.
Quintin - No food QC.
Abigal - I mostly finish my food.
Evan- Pretty crowded at the market. I can breathe but it stinks.
Anonymous - Food tastes good.
Isaac - More food than I can eat.
Max - SOOOOOO much food. All tastes good.
Hazel - I don't remember what the flowers looked like.

Popular posts from this blog

Day Six - A Normal Day in Ha Long Bay

Heading Back to Ha Long Bay

Ha Noi