Day 17 - Taking Eastern Medicine



Hey, guys, I am back but in pain today. I had to drink an herbal tea (thuoc bac) three times a day that would help me with my kidney problem. You know, like in the movie isle of dogs with the kid who lost his kidney in a train crash. The drink takes all day to brew. It's from like a dozen different times of herbs that maybe look like cinnamon and some bark? I really don't know. The dosage of herbs is double the size of my head. It's then put in a pot so simmer for hours.

So, I drank the tea, once it was done brewing, which was super bitter. I was mad because the medicine man said he would sweeten it or it would be sweet after it brews. Of corse he lied or his idea of sweet is super biter. :( I spent the whole day being forced too drink three cups –breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So, one at breakfast one was awful so I didn't finish until lunch when my mom added sugar. For the lunch and dinner one, it taste better because my mom puts sugar again to cut the bitter. Well, that's really all I did. I did not go anywhere but school, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Well thats all I did today, bye. See you in two weeks or sometime like that, I don't know:)

Oh, forgot, I did spend a lot of time packing for Ha Noi. We are leaving tomorrow for Ha Noi. I'm pretty excited about that, except the pollution part. I have been to Ha Noi before and had to wear a mask all the time. I already doubled up on homework so I don't have to do any on the trip. Thank you, Ms. Hong. My mom has meetings there so I cannot sleep in, but she said we would look for a Halloween party on the 31st. Yay!

Update:
So, I failed at drinking all the brew and had to see the herbal doctor again. He was like, uh oh, you suck and you have to drink it all. But, then he said, why is it a problem if the brew is sweet? Turns out my mom did not brew it right so she has to brew it again. Now it taste like tar but not as bad. Even though I don't know what tar taste like.

My mom said I was being rude about not drinking the brew earlier so she was pretty pissed off. She had me look at the room full of herbs at the medicine man's house and said it came from the forest and had to be hand picked properly. Also, then the medicine man performed magic on the herbs and figured out what was wrong with me. So, the bag of herbs I got has like 20 different super special herbs in it. My mom said I should be more appreciative of all the effort by so many people to bring the herbs to me. It made me think a little.

Co Oanh helped my mom brew it right the second day. But when my mom came with the new brewed medicine at school, I still was not sure it would be sweet. So, I refused to drink it. My teacher, Ms, Hong, had to talk me into it. The class tried to get me to drink as well. I felt pressured so drank it. It did taste much better, especially since it's sweeter. I just don't like the bitter drink, it tastes so bad. Anyway, I hope it works. It better work :D










Comments

Que said…
have a good trip!

Popular posts from this blog

Day Six - A Normal Day in Ha Long Bay

Heading Back to Ha Long Bay

Ha Noi